People tend to use the terms “landscaper” and “gardener” interchangeably. Although landscapers and gardeners both tend to your yard, they do completely different jobs. The difference between a landscaper and a gardener is that a landscaper designs and builds the look of your yard, and a gardener maintains your garden and plants.
What Does a Landscaper Do?
If you are looking to change the layout, design, or overall look and feel of your yard, you would need to call a landscaper. A landscaper may add anything to your yard from structures like pergolas and arbors, to outdoor firepits and fireplaces, to water features, to pavers and concrete, or even build an outdoor kitchen for you. They will work with you to come up with a design that best fits your wants and needs and then they will bring your vision to life.
What Does a Gardener Do?
On the other hand, if you are looking for someone to maintain the grass or plants in your yard, you would instead need a gardener. Gardeners will water your plants, trim your grass, remove weeds, and may even apply herbicides and pesticides to keep unwanted pests away from your garden. Gardeners often have knowledge in horticulture and can assist you with keeping your plants happy and healthy.
Should I Choose a Landscaper or a Gardener?
You can ask yourself the following questions to determine whether you need a landscaper or a gardener:
- Do you want to add a specific feature to your yard?
- A pergola or arbor?
- A firepit or fireplace?
- A water feature like a pond or waterfall?
- Concrete or pavers?
- An outdoor kitchen?
- A retaining wall?
- Drought-resistant xeriscape?
- Add outdoor lighting?
- Do you want to change the look of your yard to fit a certain style or aesthetic?
- Do you want to increase your curb appeal?
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, you need to hire a landscaper.
- Do you need help maintaining your yard?
- Watering your plants?
- Trimming or edging your lawn?
- Removing weeds?
- Caring for your plants or yard including sprinklers or irrigation?
- Do you want to add specific plants to your yard, but you aren’t sure if they’re a good fit?
- Do you need help with adding pesticides or herbicides to your garden?
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, you need to hire a gardener.
What Skills Do Gardeners and Landscapers Have?
Looking for a Landscaper to Build Your Dream Backyard?
If you are looking for an expert in landscaping, call Mike’s Evergreen to get started on building your ideal outdoor living space. Contact us if you have any questions, or to find out if we are the right fit for your needs!